Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Snack-size Sample

This week I've been in Zwickau, Berlin, Potsdam, and Brandenburg Havel. There is so much to see that I've given you just a snack-size sample of my week thus far....


Over the weekend I was in Zwickau, which is where my ancestors came from. I was able to see the church where my great grandparents were married. I also went to an LDS church for the first time since I've been here. Hallelujah! I love that the church is the same where ever you go. It felt so good to be there!


While in Berlin I have been staying with Ulrike, a teacher from the former East Germany. It has been very interesting to get her perspective on life in the German Democratic Republic. She has taken me to a couple of museums where I could learn more about the GDR and the history of the Berlin Wall.
At Checkpoint Charlie.


What is left of the Berlin Wall.


"Driving" a Trabant from East Germany. Incidentally, these cars were made in Zwickau!


This is Ulrike with her boyfriend, Thomas (at BierGarden for the Germany football game) . They are both very nice, but they like to kiss and sigh...A LOT!!! Because I've felt so awkward with their affection, I have tried to turn it into a joke, and I told them that they can kiss everytime I stop to take a picture. For those of you who know how many pictures I take (about 2,000 so far), you will get an accurate idea of how much kissing has been going on.

I also got to go to Potsdam while Ulrike was attending a University class. I saw the palace of King Frederick of Prussia. I've never seen anything like the palace and grounds!


Housing development in Brandenburg (former East Germany). These are the types of buildings that everyone lived in under Communism.

No comments: