


Today we went to Waldschule, an elementary school where the kids are Turkish immigrants. It appears that they have similar problems trying to educate immigrants that we have in Salt Lake City with Hispanic, Somalian, and other immigrants. It was interesting to hear their take on things and to see what they are doing to remedy the situation. The kids were really cute and were once again very excited to see us. When they heard that we were from America, they let out a loud, collective gasp. They drew pictures for us of their school and put on a puppet show for us with washcloth puppets they had made. I was touched with their immediate acceptance and love for us!



The program organizers have actually worked a lot of free time into our days, so after 3 pm, the time is ours to explore the city. Today a couple teachers and I walked to a park just down from our hotel. The river Lahn runs through the town/park, and it is beautiful. We also went to the Elizabeth Church which kind of reminded me of the Salt Lake temple from the outside.
Speaking of the temple, I am the lone Mormon on this trip. It's been very interesting to answer everyones questions, which have been many! I feel very grateful to be here having this missionary experience, although it does feel a bit lonely. There is not even a ward or branch here in Marburg. I need to find out where the closest meeting place is so that I can go to church on Sunday. One teacher told me that if I can find a congregation, she would like to come with me. Not bad, eh!...considering that we've really only been here for two days. At this rate, there will be a baptism before we leave Germany! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment